Friday, July 17, 2015

July 17, 2015 - Ola Weenies!





  MINHA FAMILIA EU AMO VOCES
  Fridays are my P-Day! As you probably noticed.
  i am so excited to write you guys you have no idea. I've been keeping a list of all the crazy/fun/spiritual/scary things happening so hopefully I'll get to them all.

   Here are 3 things I´ve learned so far from the LONGEST 10 DAYS OF MY LIFE:
   1. Missions are hard
   2. Portuguese is hard
   3. Brazilians are very nice but talk too fast.

   I don~t even know where to start, I feel like I´ve been here a month already. The CTM is so fun!!      But homesickness is a real thing. I´ve been struggling with that a lot this past week and a half but I      keep praying to be able to push through it and lemme tell you, the Lord is aware of each one of us    and has helped me with so much already. Okay for starters, everyone here speaks Portuguese allll the  time. There is my district and then 2 other districts from the States but they´re not supposed to speak  to us in English. My district is legit, its me and Sister Kinnaman, Elder Baker, Elder Battan, Elder  Hughes and Elder Merrill. We´re known as ´´The Americans´´.... not sure how i feel about that one  yet. We make fun of each other a lot and make the 10 HOURS A DAY WE SPEND IN CLASS  TOGETHER actually enjoyable. Yeah you heard me right, we spend 10 hours a day in this one  classroom together. It gets hot and sticky and spiritual all up in there. The Elders think i´m a handful  because i have lots of varying opinions on world issues but they still like me. they also make fun of  me and say i make a lot of weird faces, (not untrue), but i think they´re just mad because they´re  usually at them. We like to incorporate tiny pieces of song lyrics into our conversations to remind us  that there is a world that exists outside of the CTM. But yeah our days are super long because every  single second is planned out for us from 6:30 to 10:30. Everyone that came here from the Provo  MTC says here theyre way more strict on everything. except that we can wear maxi skirts here like  whyyy was i not informed of that??

  waking up at 6:30 isnt as horrible as anticipated, and by 10:30 i am so ready to pass out. (no, not  drunk julia, jared and uncle tim)

  oh also for julia and jared, someone was talking about their bishop back home named bishop hart and  i said under my breath ´´bishop fart´´ and only my companion heard me and i think she thinks i have  terets now. oops.

  I have a Brazilian roommate named Sister Fernandes and a Peruvian one named Sister Bonfild. I  love them. They´re crazy and animated. We speak a really funny mix of spanish and Portuguese and  english. sis fer. tried talking to me in port really fast and i try and lean on my spanish but she makes  me practice. Shes like the typical brazilian woman idk how to describe her. Sometimes it ends up  being her speaking Portuguese then sis bonfild translating it into spanish for me and then i translate it  into english for sis kinn. They love american singers like bruno mars and beyonce its super cute.

  fun fact: everyone here says ´´sheem´´ for sim which means yes, which means dad was actually right  about something. #firsttimeforeverything. also, i dont like all of these tedious little rules that they  have here, or the fact that they make you use arbitrary goal sheets and plan in time for planning,  because i already have my own goals in my head and i already plan out all my time by myself so i  dont get the point. Also we have this lame computer program to help us learn portuguese called  TALL which i hate because id rather practice face to face not just memorize vocab. but i guess dad  was right again because sometimes you have to do things you dont wanna do. #lifelessonsbypdaddy

  Speaking of portuguese, it is pretty dang difficult lemme tell you. But I~m picking it up. it is a    blessing and a curse to know spanish, its easier for me to pick up on vocab and alot of the phrases  but then pronunciation of portuguese kills me. i speak in a combination of 3/4 portuguese 1/4 spanish  and just kinda hope for the best haha. when the natives here me speak they ask if i know spanish so i  guess my secrets out. but i´m getting better. i can talk about lots of church stuff fine, its just my real  life vocab that struggles. its hard when i want to teach by the spirit and adapt my lesson plans to fit  an ´´investigator´´ we have, but i dont know  how to say all the stuff i know they need to hear, in  portuguese yet.

  The people here are amazing!!! sooo so nice and sweet and all the sisters give you hugs and air  kisses on the cheek when you see them. and everyone in the halls always says hi to each other and  good morning (bom dia) and good night (boa noiche). i cant count the number of times a day i say  ´ói!´(oye) which means hi. theyre just all so nice and inviting even though i can barely communicate  with them. a lot of them like to try little english phrases on me and its so cute. oh and its probably the  best thing ever here that since we´re in latin america, everyone pronounces sister like ´seeester´ like  on nacho libre, so im seester walk-hair.

  I´m learning alot about patience and the power of prayer here. My companion is pretty different from  me, because although i love her, she likes to take things slow, and is pretty quiet and passive. as you  know, i am not. especially when it comes to the gospel. But its okay, shes teaching me to slow down  and im teaching her to speak up. i pray a lot to be able to see the other elders here as christ would see  them, and its amazing at the capacity of love that im able to have during the day. but by the night i  think my prayers wear off so i have to just read more scriptures.

  the food here is alright, its all brazilian food so pretty much every day is mystery meat in the  cafeteria. oh and theres every flavor guarana under the sun, uncle kenny would love it. the foods  sometimes good, sometimes great, sometimes bad, and sometimes tastes like its from parts of the  animal that no human being should ever ingest. but mostly its decent. i miss mcdonalds.

  theres one elder in my district going to maceio (we were right, its mahh-say-o!), and one other elder  on my plane ride that i know of so far. whenever i tell a native im going there all they say is, ohhh its  so hot there! awesome.....

  oh and we went to the police station this week so we~re officially brazileros!

  okay so what ive learned this week is that the lord is on our side. and that whatever knowledge we  have, we have to share. we went to the temple capinas today, it was like i finally felt at home.

 love you all

 sister walker

No comments:

Post a Comment